I miss caffeine. Big time.
This whole “growing another human” thing does have its downsides from time to time. I still feel like the luckiest preggo in the world, though. I’ve had such an easy time so far. Not to mention the amazing end result that is coming our way! Can’t wait.
Overall fatigue has been my biggest battle. Substantially cutting back on caffeine has not made it easy in that department. I still have my one 8-oz cup of coffee every morning. I was beyond thrilled when my doc confirmed that it was OK to have one cup of coffee per day. I can’t get by without it. Only downside is that I have to watch my caffeine intake for the rest of the day. No tea, coffee, soda, or excessive chocolate.
That last one is a real bummer. It’s been especially tricky during that daily post-lunch slump we all know too well.
These cookies are my cheat. They have three kinds of chocolate AND espresso! Lucky for me, my husband can’t keep his hands out of the cookie jar when these are inside. He’s obsessed with them. Also lucky for me, they are so rich that I only need one, which is all I should probably be having anyway…preggo or not.
These cookies are best served with a cold glass of milk. They are SO chocolatey…you really need something to wash them down. The flavors of chocolate and espresso are topped off with a sprinkle of sea salt, which is basically the best thing to ever happen to the dessert world. I ADORE the sweet-salty combo, and these definitely fit the bill.
The milk jug empties so much faster when cookies like these are in the house. Funny how that happens.
Get your chocolate fix with these. And stock up on the milk.
- 2 sticks unsalted butter, at room temperature
- ¾ cup light brown sugar
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2¼ cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 3 tablespoons instant espresso powder
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup white chocolate chips
- Coarse or flaked sea salt, for sprinkling on top
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and line two baking sheets with parchment paper. Beat the butter and sugars together until light and creamy. Add the eggs, one at a time, and beat to combine. Add the vanilla.
- Combine the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, fine sea salt, and espresso powder in a medium bowl. Mix well.
- Add half of the dry ingredients to the butter mixture and beat to combine. Repeat with the other half. Gently stir in the chocolate chips.
- Scoop the dough into even balls and place on the prepared baking sheets. Sprinkle each cookie ball with the coarse sea salt.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes or until the cookies are set in the middle. Allow to cool on the baking sheets for a minute and then transfer to wire racks to finish cooling.
- Keep leftover cookies in an airtight container for up to a week.