Let’s get this long weekend started!
I love Memorial Day weekend. Not only does it kick off the summer (unofficially), involve a ton of fun BBQs and parties, but it also commemorates those who fought and died for this country. Taking time our of our hectic lives to honor those fallen heroes is made a priority, and I love it.
What do you all have planned for this weekend? We’ve got a full schedule. We’re kicking things off right with tacos tonight. Tomorrow, we’re helping my mom move into a new house and then attending a birthday party. Sunday is booked with some pool/relaxation time and then dinner out with friends. Monday will be a quiet day, and I can’t wait. I’m looking forward to all of it, of course, but Monday will definitely be a decompressing day, and those are sometimes the best.
If you’re hosting a party this weekend, you must check out this punch I shared earlier in the week. It is SUCH a crowd pleaser and looks so damn pretty and festive, who wouldn’t want to drink it?! If you’re still scrambling to put together your menu, allow me to suggest today’s recipe: chicken parmesan sliders.
You guys. These little chicken burgers are packed with SO MUCH FLAVOR, and they’re so easy to put together. If you love the flavors of chicken parmesan, you will flip over these.
Here’s the thing. I LOVE chicken parmesan, but I haaaate making it. It’s something I really only want to order out at a restaurant. I realize that I make far more complicated things all the time, but for some reason, I dread making chicken parmesan. I think it has to do with the process of breading and frying the chicken. It’s just not my favorite thing to do.
So these burgers are my easier, much faster (and slightly healthier?) way of getting that same flavor into my face hole. And making them into sliders is PERFECT for your Memorial Day weekend plans. You can prep them totally in advance and then grill/sear and top them when you’re ready to serve. They feed a crowd and come together with pretty standard ingredients.
The slider patties have all the flavors of the breaded chicken, and they get slathered in marinara sauce and topped with melty mozzarella cheese. Oh! And cute baby basil leaves! You can’t forget the basil. The whole package is wrapped in a tiny sesame slider bun. Cute, easy little bites that do not disappoint on flavor.
All of which make them perfect for your weekend plans.
Along with a huge glass of this punch.
Yesssss. Let’s do this.
For the Sliders:
- 1 tablespoon ketchup
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 cup Panko breadcrumbs
- ½ cup whole milk
- ½ cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon dried Italian herbs
- Salt and pepper
- 1 egg
- 1 lb ground chicken breast
- Thinly sliced mozzarella cheese
- Slider buns
- Marinara sauce, warmed
- Fresh basil, chopped
For the Sliders:
- In a large bowl, mix together the garlic, ketchup, onion, breadcrumbs, milk, cheese, and herbs. Season the mixture, to taste, with salt and pepper.
- Mix in the egg and then fold in the chicken. Mix until everything is just combined; overmixing can result in dry, tough burgers.
- Preheat a grill or grill pan and brush the grill grates with oil. Form the chicken mixture into slider patties. Drizzle with a little oil and then add them to the hot grill. Grill for 3-4 minutes per side.
- During the last minute of cooking, top each slider with a slice of mozzarella cheese and close the lid of the grill so that the cheese can melt.
- To each slider bun, add some warmed marinara sauce. Top each with a burger, additional marinara, and some fresh basil and serve!