I have been MIA for what feels like weeks on here. I have been SO SICK since Sunday (thanks, flu season), and this is the first day I’m starting to feel like an actual human being again. With the Super Bowl (featuring my EAGLES!!!!) only days away, I had intended on sharing these tacos with you earlier in the week. But life took over and I could barely get out of bed these past several days. Blah.
That said, I’m on the mend and very happy to finally share these AMAZING tacos with you. They really are the PERFECT crowd-pleasing meal to make for the Super Bowl. Let me tell you why.
Aside from the obvious and most important reason (they’re absolutely delicious — maybe the best taco I’ve made yet), these can be made completely ahead and in your slow cooker! You can make the buffalo chicken a day ahead and then just reheat in the slow cooker during your football viewing partay. Set up a fun taco bar and have your guests serve themselves!
Not only does it make your life so much easier to have the prep done ahead, but it means that you can spend time with your guests, actually watching the game (or the commercials — whichever you’re in it for). AND! The actual cooking process is really easy. Like, ridiculously easy.
The buffalo chicken happens by throwing a few ingredients, like buffalo hot sauce and ranch dressing, in a slow cooker along with some chicken breasts and letting them cook away while you do other life things. Shred that chicken up (which happens like a dream, btw) and toss it back in the buffalo cooking sauce, and you’re pretty much ready to go. So simple! And so, so yummy!
I like to serve these tacos with a crunchy and cooling slaw. I actually think the slaw makes these tacos. I take cabbage, carrots, and celery (sticking with that buffalo theme) and toss them in an easy but tangy dressing. The creaminess totally cools down the spicy chicken, and that texture! Swoon. Like I said, I think it makes the tacos.
The only thing missing is a slice or two of creamy avocado and a spritz of fresh lime juice! Oh, and I guess the tortillas! Hah. I like to toast mine over my gas burner, which also can be done ahead. Not only does it give the tortillas so much more flavor, but it adds a little crunchiness to them as well. Again with that texture. You can do corn or flour, or a mix of the two. My favorite is flour.
I tested these tacos out a couple weeks ago on my hubby, and he RAVED about them. He said that the flavor was top notch, and that he would prefer to eat them over buffalo wings during a game. That’s a BIG win!
And here’s hoping for a BIG WIN this Sunday for my home team!
Slow-Cooker Buffalo Chicken Tacos
- Yield: 8-10 servings 1x
For the Chicken:
- 4 skinless, boneless chicken breasts
- 1 cup buffalo wing hot sauce
- ½ cup chicken stock
- ⅓ cup ranch or blue cheese dressing, divided
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
For the Creamy Slaw:
- 2 cups shredded green cabbage
- 2 cups shredded red/purple cabbage
- 1 cup shredded or chopped carrot
- 1 cup shredded or chopped celery
- ¼ cup mayo
- ½ cup plain Greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- ½ cup crumbled blue cheese (optional, can also sub with feta)
- Corn or flour tortillas, warmed or toasted
- Sliced avocado
- Lime wedges
- Additional ranch or blue cheese dressing, for drizzling
For the Chicken:
- Whisk together the hot sauce, chicken stock, and half the dressing in the bottom of a slow cooker until everything is well combined.
- Add in the chicken breasts and turn to coat in the sauce.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 6 hours.
- Once the chicken is cooked through and easily shreddable, shred or chop the chicken and then return it to the pot.
- Stir in the butter and the remaining dressing. Keep warm until you are ready to serve.
For the Creamy Slaw:
- Using a food processor shredding attachment, shred all the veggies.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the mayo, yogurt, vinegar, sugar, a pinch each of salt and pepper, and cheese (if using).
- Whisk until smooth and incorporated. Taste and adjust the seasoning, if needed.
- Add the shredded veggies into the dressing and toss to combine. Cover and refrigerate for 15-20 minutes prior to serving.
- To each tortilla, add some of the shredded chicken and then top with some of the slaw, a couple slices of avocado, and spritz with fresh lime juice. Drizzle on additional dressing, if desired. Serve!
This looks delicious! Love the combo of buffalo chicken and tacos!!
Thanks, Karly! We make these all the time. So easy and so, so good!