We have had the most gorgeous weather here this week so far.
Sunny, warm, and gloriously springy. I am loving it.
This type of weather always has me craving lighter fare: salads, wraps, simple avocado toast, and snack plates. Snacks are a way of life around here. In fact, most days, I snack on things rather than eat full meals.
The warmer weather just enhances that habit, which may be good or bad, depending on how you look at it.
The most significant change in my diet this time of year, however, is a large increase in the amount of salad I eat. I am a big fan of salad. I grew up eating it with every single dinner my mom served. As an adult, I love mixing and matching ingredients to create crunchy, refreshing, and satisfying bowls of yumminess.
Plus, that extra couple doses of vegetables makes me feel damn good.
Today’s salad is a riff on a classic cobb salad. It has most of the ingredients of the classic, but with the bacon, lettuce, and tomato aspect shining through a little brighter. Oh, and the creamiest, tangiest, most delicious dill dressing! Swoon.
Dill = spring to me.
Cobb salads are awesome because they’re super hearty while still being a salad. Chicken, bacon, eggs, and cheese are almost always involved, which means that there is no way that a Cobb salad is going to be bad. It has all the best things!
This version includes all of that with some extra springy oomph thrown in.
On top of all the usual stuff, I’ve added in avocado (also very common in a regular Cobb), spicy-sweet radishes (look at that color!), and loads of mixed spring greens. It’s also a fabulous way to use up any of those leftover hard-boiled eggs you may have from Easter.
Once everything gets tossed in that addicting dill dressing, all bets are off that you won’t polish this off all by your lonesome.
Not that I’d know A THING about that.
Spring BLT Cobb Salad with Creamy Dill Dressing
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
For the Dressing:
- ½ cup plain Greek yogurt (2% or full fat)
- ¼ cup sour cream
- 2 scallions, finely chopped
- Zest and juice of 1 lemon
- ¼ cup fresh dill, chopped
- Salt and pepper, to taste
For the Salad:
- 6–8 cups mixed baby greens
- 6 slices bacon, cooked and chopped
- 2 cups cooked and diced chicken breast (I love using leftover chicken or a store-bought rotissierie chicken for salads like this)
- 2–3 hard-boiled eggs, halved (soft-boiled also would be awesome)
- 1 avocado, sliced or chopped
- 1 cup cherry or grape tomatoes, halved
- Sliced radishes (add as much as you like)
- Sliced red onion (add as much as you like)
- ½ cup blue or feta cheese, crumbled
For the Dressing:
- In a bowl, whisk together all the ingredients and season, to taste, with salt and pepper.
- If a smoother dressing is preferred, add all the ingredients to a blender and blend until smooth.
- This will taste even better if you can make it ahead – it just gets better and better as it sits.
For the Salad:
- On a large serving platter, spread the greens out in an even layer.
- Top with the bacon, chicken, eggs, avocado, tomatoes, radishes, and red onion.
- Crumble the cheese over the top of everything and season the entire salad with a little salt and pepper.
- Drizzle the salad with as much of the dressing as you prefer. Serve!
[…] This spring BLT cobb gets all up in there and is simply gorgeous. […]
[…] Spring BLT Cobb Salad with Creamy Dill Dressing from Yes to Yolks […]