It’s summer! Officially!
And I’m still on a cherry kick. This happens every year. I get overly excited about cherry season. It is, hands down, one of most exciting produce developments all year long.
I am putting them in and on everything. One of my favorite snacks at the moment is a big bowl of cherries. Plain and simple. I buy them by the 2-lb bags at almost any price and without shame. They are the best.
Today, I’m telling you all about how to put them on your pizza. Yes. Trust me on this. It’s goooooood.
This pizza is simple with minimal ingredients but BIG TIME flavor. Just what summer calls for!
Now, if you don’t want to turn on your oven, you can grill this pizza. I’ve grilled pizza a dozen times, and as long as you follow a few simple steps, it’s not difficult AND it prevents you from needing to turn on the oven in the summer. See this post for how I do it on the grill.
I did this one in the oven because I’ll do just about anything in the name of fresh cherries. This is getting weird, isn’t it?
This pizza is simple. It’s basically a white pizza topped with loaded of cherries and crumbled feta cheese. The combination of the salty feta and sweet, bursting cherries is TO. DIE. FOR.
I like to top it off with a healthy drizzle of balsamic glaze and a handful of fresh herbs or baby greens. The greenery adds great flavor, color, and a little crunch that I love.
To me, this is the epitome of summer meals. Quick and easy with just a handful of approachable ingredients. It’s just what the doctor ordered.
I’m seriously thinking about investing in one of those super fancy woodburning pizza ovens that are all the rage right now. We eat pizza all the time, but summer pizza feels so fun and festive to me. If you use store-bought crust, recipes like this one only take 20 minutes or less to throw together. Which means there’s more time for other summer things, like swimming or picnicing.
I like to load my summer pizzas up with all of the produce and make an entire meal out of it. It is such a staple in our house.
If only cherry season were longer! Make this one while you still can.
It is heaven.Print
- 1 (1-lb) ball of pizza dough (homemade or store bought)
- Flour, for rolling out the dough
- Cornmeal, for rolling out the dough
- Olive oil, for brushing on the dough
- 1½ cups grated mozzarella (use the low moisture kind)
- 1 cup fresh cherries, pitted and halved
- 1 cup crumbled feta, divided
- Salt and pepper
- Red pepper flakes, optional
- Pea shoots, microgreens, or fresh herbs, for garnish
- Balsamic glaze, for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 475°F and place a pizza stone on the middle rack. If you don’t have a pizza stone, place a lightly oiled baking sheet in the oven to preheat.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out your dough to desired shape and thickness. Sprinkle a pizza peel with cornmeal and then carefully transfer the dough to the pizza peel.
- Sprinkle the mozzarella evenly over the surface of the dough, leaving a 1-inch border of crust around the edges.
- Add the cherries on top of the mozzarella, spreading them out evenly. Top with ½ of the crumbled feta cheese.
- Season with a pinch each of salt, pepper, and the red pepper flakes, if using, and then carefully transfer the pizza from the pizza peel onto your pizza stone or prepared baking sheet.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes, or until the pizza dough is crisp and golden on the bottom and all the toppings are melty and gooey. The cherries should be soft and bursting a bit.
- Remove from the oven and top with the remaining feta, green of choice,, and a drizzle of balsamic glaze. Season with another sprinkle of salt, slice, and serve.