The worst month of the year.
Get ready. I’m going total humbug on you today, despite all the unadulterated joy on that little boy’s face up there.
Don’t get me wrong, I love the whole “fresh start/clean slate” mentality. I love setting goals (far more enjoyable than making resolutions, in my opinion). But I STRUGGLE this time of year, no matter how great my intentions are. The holidays are over. The weather is dreary, gray, and cold. And despite everything feeling fresh and new, it’s really just the same old stuff! Back to work we go. Not much is really different!
That said, I hope you all had a lovely holiday season and are still basking in the afterglow. I am currently focused on a few things, both in the professional and personal realms, all while trying not to freak over the fact that my due date is rapidly approaching in eight weeks (I’m 32 weeks today!). Fastest pregnancy ever.
I have some fun things coming up in this month. Lots of health-forward food but with my usual dash of comfort and indulgence. Because what’s the point of eating only kale all the time and being sad? Cheese makes everything better. That’s my life motto.
While I work out my complicated feelings on January/the new year/becoming a mom for the second time, here are some highlights from December. Just some things I’ve been lovin’ this past month!
- My new Fitbit Charge 3. I have worn a Fitbit for a few years now and I find them super motivating. I had the older version of this tracker and loved it, but recently, the screen cracked. Not a deal breaker because it still worked, but Dan got me this new one for Christmas and I’m LOVING it. This one can be used in water, too, so I’m really looking forward to tracking some laps in the pool this summer. It’s also been great in getting me up and onto my feet during this pregnancy. I love the hourly reminders to get up and MOVE, which just makes me feel a ton better, both mentally and physically. Oh, and I am notoriously the WORST when it comes to answering my phone. When at home, I tend to set my phone down and walk away. This Fitbit sends phone call and text alerts right to my wrist. I know this isn’t new technology by any means, but for me, it makes a huge difference!
- This Viktor & Rolf Flowerbomb perfume is new to me and definitely a fun addition. For years now, I have exclusively worn Victoria’s Secret Bombshell perfume. Nothing else. When I received this sample in a recent Sephora order, I was thrilled to discover another scent that I actually liked. I’m super picky when it comes to perfumes, and this was the first one in years that I have liked. VS Bombshell is definitely still my everyday go-to, but I like having another option (finally)! Bonus: Dan really likes this one too.
- While we’re on the topic of beauty finds, I recently tried out this stay-matte sheer pressed powder by Clinique and have been very impressed! I don’t wear foundation (I hate the way it feels on my skin – even the sheer versions), but I do spot treat with concealer and pressed powder every single day. I’ve been hopelessly devoted to a cheapo drugstore version of pressed powder for years (not knocking it by any means), and I wanted to see if I could find something a little better for my skin. I ordered this on a whim and have been pleasantly surprised! It’s sheer and matte at the same time and doesn’t look cakey or powdery AT ALL on my skin, even in the drying winter conditions. I may have found my new pressed powder!
- Clementines! Give me all the winter citrus. We have been going through a big box of clementines weekly. Kieran loves them as a quick snack (he loves that he can peel them himself), and Dan and I gobble them up like candy. I love the citrus this time of year. It definitely helps with my January doldrums.
- These chicken ranch nachos have been on repeat this past month. Dan and I are completely obsessed with these, and we have both deemed them to be the best indulgent snack I’ve ever made. Seriously. They are THE FREAKING BEST. With all the holiday craziness, Dan being knocked out with pneumonia for most of December, and all the football we’ve been watching lately, these have been in the regular dinner rotation all month. They’re quick and easy to throw together and taste amazing. Dan wanted them so badly last weekend, he drove to the store to get the ingredients even though I already had a dinner shopped for and planned for that night. I didn’t stop him. Nachos forever!
- I’ve been living in these pajamas. The last couple weeks of December are always super weird for me, and this year, Christmas being on a Tuesday TOTALLY threw me off. I had no idea what day it was for like two weeks straight. This led to a lot of lazy, unproductive days lounging around the house in PJs. All day long. And these PJs make it easy to do just that! They are ridiculously soft and comfortable, and I love that they aren’t too heavy (I get hot when sleeping). Perfect for hanging out around the house and relaxing.
- Kopari coconut melt and coconut crush scrub have been saving my pregnant, winter skin lately. I discovered this brand last year, and I absolutely loooove both of these products. They feel so luxurious without being overly greasy (a problem I often have with coconut oil based products). And the smell is heavenly! Not at all overpowering. If you have dry skin, I highly recommend these! I’ve been using the coconut melt all over my preggo belly, too, and it just makes my skin feel great. Which is really saying something since most of my other 8-month preggo symptoms do just the opposite.
- How cute and comfy is this dog bed? Yes, I know. I’m sharing about a dog bed. Exciting stuff. The truth is, we’ve had a hard time finding dog beds that last long enough, are easy to clean, and are actually comfortable/preferable for our dogs. I kept seeing this one pop up in recommended ads and even on a few other bloggers’ sites, and I decided to gift our pups one for Christmas. Both dogs LOVE this bed, and I actually like the way it looks in our family room. It’s sort of posh, which I realize sounds absolutely ridiculous, but I’m a sucker for comfy-looking fluffy things! Oh, and it washes like a dream. With Max still being housetrained, this was a KEY feature for me. Two wash/dry cycles later, and it still looks like new.
- I can’t find a link for this online anywhere, but my favorite nail polish at the moment is OPI I’ll Have A Manhattan. It’s part of the Breakfast at Tiffany’s collection, and I adore it. It’s an inky, dark purple color and it looks exactly like the dark cherries you get in a Manhattan cocktail. It’s not TOO purple and just the right amount of vampy. It’s a few years old, but my manicurist told me that most nail salons should have it. It’s a gorgeous fall/winter color!
And that wraps up my December favorites. Here’s to hoping that my poor January attitude can turn around soon. I’m just having a sluggish start so far! I sincerely hope you are not.
Leave a Reply