Let’s toast to the fact that it’s almost the weekend!
Thursday is always the unofficial start to the weekend in my brain. Obviously, there’s still one day left, but it always feels like we’ve made it this far and that is cause for celebration.
I’m convinced that’s why Thirsty Thursday is a thing! I’m clearly not alone in this mentality.
You guys, it has been A WEEK here in the Meehan household. My poor Kieran was hit with the flu over the weekend. When he got off the bus on Friday afternoon, I could immediately tell that something was off. Runny nose, red eyes, and fatigue. You have to understand that this kid never stops. The energy he possesses is boundless. So when he doesn’t feel well, the first sign is a lackluster personality and fatigue.
By Saturday afternoon, I knew something more serious than your average head cold was happening, so we took him to Urgent Care. Poor baby had the flu AND an ear infection. He was completely miserable, which again, is totally out of the norm for him. So, after 5 days of medicines galore, resting, pumping him full of fluids, long daytime naps (which he hasn’t done in well over a year!), I finally feel like he’s well enough to go back to school today. I was so worried that he was still contagious, even though he clearly felt better, that I held him home an extra day yesterday.
But! The poor kid is going bonkers. He needs some activity and stimulation. And the doctor said he wouldn’t be contagious anymore after his fever was gone for 24 hours, which it has been for days. So! School it is.
Which means that I can somewhat return to my normal routine. Except! I got sick. Ugh. I don’t think it’s the flu, though. I think we are battling two different viruses in our household at the moment, and I think (PRAY!) that mine is more of the head cold variety.
So, as much as I would LOOOOOVE (and quite frankly, NEED) a cocktail this Thirsty Thursday, I’m going to have to hold off until I feel better. But! I can still tell you all about this amazing concoction! Blood orange margaritas! With a twist!
It’s no secret that margaritas are one of my favorite cocktails ever. I will either order a marg or something with gin 75% of the time if we’re out; the other 25% would be wine. But margs hold a special place in my heart. I’m one of the weirdos who actually LIKES the taste of tequila, so whenever a marg is an option, I’m usually like “Bring it on!” Extra salt please!
Today’s version is a seasonal one. Blood oranges are SO GOOD right now, and I always go a little nuts with them in January-February. They just brighten up these depressing gray days and make me look forward to warmer weather and plentiful sunshine. Citrus has that effect on me, despite it generally being a winter produce item.
So, I’ve loaded these up with freshly squeezed blood orange and lime juices, tequila, a splash of triple sec (just to drive home that orange flavor), and HONEY! The honey really makes these special. Not only is it a natural sweetener (if you wanted to go completely natural, I suggest omitting the triple sec because that has refined sugar in it), but it adds its own unique floral flavor to these margs. It is DELICIOUS with the blood orange juice!
To elevate these just a touch more, I use a smoked sea salt and lots of lime zest for rimming the glasses. I like to add a little sugar to my salt for margs, but that is totally optional. The smoked salt is also optional – regular sea salt or flaky kosher salt will work perfectly in a pinch – but the smokiness it lends is something really special. And unique!
The sweetness of the drink itself tones down the smokiness of the salt while the smoky salt enhances all the other flavors. Everything working together to make this cocktail extra special. I promise you, it’s one of my fave marg renditions yet!
But then again, I rarely meet a marg I don’t love.
These Honey Blood Orange Margaritas with Smoky Lime Salt are a seasonal twist on a classic, featuring winter citrus at its finest, along with a smoky salt rim that really takes these flavors over the top. This cocktail is sweetened with honey, so no simple syrup is required! Simple but oh so delicious!
For the Smoky Lime Salt:
- 3 tablespoons smoked sea salt (regular sea salt or kosher salt will work too)
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- Zest of 1 lime
For the Margaritas:
- Juice of 1 blood orange
- Juice of 2 limes
- 4 oz silver tequila
- 1 oz orange liqueur
- 1 tablespoon honey
For the Smoky Lime Salt:
Whisk the ingredients together on a plate or in a shallow bowl.
For the Margaritas:
- Run a sliced lime around the edges of two glasses and then fill the glasses with ice.
- To a shaker filled with ice, add the citrus juices, tequila, orange liqueur, and honey. Shake well and divide between the two glasses. Serve immediately.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Category: cocktails
Keywords: blood orange margaritas, honey blood orange margaritas, smoky lime salt, smoked salt, honey margaritas, cocktails, tequila cocktails, easy cocktails