I have the coziest, dreamiest bowl of deliciousness to tell you about today.
This is the sort of thing I could eat everyday. It’s ideal for this time of year when the evenings are crisp and chilly, and you feel the urge to snuggle up under a blanket with something warm to eat.
Like after trick or treating with your kids!
This creamy chicken and gnocchi soup is it.
You guys. This soup is simple. But incredibly flavorful and comforting. And it’s really my dream bowl of coziness.
It’s reminiscent of my favorite chicken and dumplings but even easier to make. Think of it like chicken pot pie filling meets chicken soup meets creamy gnocchi.
Sound good? I thought so.
This soup starts out with browning some chicken thighs in olive oil and butter. You could definitely use chicken breasts here, or even a rotisserie chicken from the store. But I love the thighs here because they add amazing richness to the soup. They also shred up like a dream without drying out.
After the chicken is browned, we take it out of the pot and saute all of the veggies in the drippings. This is how we build the flavor for the whole meal!
Into the pot goes shallot, carrots, celery, garlic, and some thyme. I also like to give the soup a little backbone and fortify that herby flavor with a little dried Italian herbs. It makes it taste very homey, just like a chicken soup should.
Once the veggies are soft, we create a roux by adding in some flour, letting it cook a bit, and then deglazing the pan with some white wine. Now, the white wine can be omitted if it’s not your thing, but I tell ya, it adds such a fantastic flavor to the soup. I recommend using it if you can!
Soup making is all about building layers of flavor. And that wine adds a bunch!
Next into the pot goes chicken stock, the gnocchi, the shredded chicken thighs, a touch of heavy cream, and some frozen peas. Everything gets simmered together until it’s rich, creamy, and soul satisfying.
A big ol’ bowl of comfort!
I love the gnocchi here because they plump up and get super tender and fluffy – just like a homemade dumpling would – and they sort of take on the flavors of the soup broth. They add heartiness and more richness, and really make this feel like a full meal.
A meal that I am absolutely in love with.Print
Creamy Chicken & Gnocchi Soup
- Total Time: 50 minutes
- Yield: 6 servings 1x
This Creamy Chicken & Gnocchi Soup is cozy comfort in a bowl. Think chicken pot pie meets chicken and dumplings – just much easier! A creamy, hearty, and soul-satisfying meal.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 5 boneless, skinless chicken thighs (roughly 1.5 lbs)
- 2 shallots, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 carrots, diced
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme, leaves removed from stems
- 1 teaspoon dried Italian herbs
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 6 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 (16-oz) package shelf-stable gnocchi (in the pasta aisle)
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Fresh thyme or parsley, for serving
- Heat the oil and butter in a large pot or Dutch oven over medium-high heat.
- Season the chicken thighs with salt and pepper and add them to the pot. Sear on both sides, about 3 minutes per side, until golden brown and cooked through. Remove from the pot and set aside.
- To the drippings in the pot, add the shallots and cook for a couple minutes until they are fragrant and soft.
- Add in the garlic, carrots, celery, fresh thyme leaves, and a pinch of salt and pepper. Cook, stirring frequently, for about 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle over the flour and stir until the veggies are well coated in the flour. Cook for a minute or until the flour begins to brown in spots.
- Slowly stream in the wine, scraping up any brown bits from the bottom and sides of the pan. Cook until the wine has mostly evaporated, about 2 minutes.
- Stir in the chicken broth, along with another pinch of salt and pepper.
- Once the broth comes up to a simmer, add in the gnocchi and cook for 5-10 minutes or until the gnocchi is tender, puffed, and floating to the top. Meanwhile, shred or chop the chicken.
- Stir in the peas, shredded/chopped chicken, and heavy cream. Cook for another few minutes and then taste and adjust the seasoning as needed.
- Ladle into bowls and serve, garnished with chopped fresh parsley or thyme leaves.
- This soup can be made with chicken breasts or even a rotisserie chicken. I love the thighs here because they add richness and shred beautifully once cooked.
- This soup freezes very well. It will keep in the fridge for several days and in the freezer for up to three months.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Category: soups
Keywords: creamy chicken and gnocchi soup, creamy chicken soup, chicken and dumplings, gnocchi soup
my kind of chicken soup! Love the creamy comforts here, and wonderful on a winter eve, so thank you!
My boyfriend loves this soup! It is his favorite! Every time he eats it he says, “this is really good!” Now that is the highest praise you can give